In October 2016 we made some significant changes to IDT Charts. These WILL change the way new charts are created and the way old charts should be edited and published.
- We've introduced a set of colour palettes to the charts so if you want to compare Manchester Utd with Chelsea you can use red v blue!
- You can now have negative values in your bar charts for data below zero.
- We have a new interface for creating Charts, which may take a little time to get used to, but we think it's cleaner and easier to understand.
- We've fixed quite a few bugs...
- And, if you hadn't spotted it before, we now have a whole new section for market data charts, which pulls in company share prices that update throughout the day - more coming in that space soon.
There are important workflow changes you will want to bear in mind. Please check the "Charts/training section of this site for step by step instructions.
Finally, if you'd like to see a feature or enhancement added to IDT, then please email DigitalNewsIDTAdmin@bbc.co.uk, and describe what you need and why.
IDT is used by hundreds of journalists across the BBC in the UK and abroad, There is a small team building and maintaining the tools in London. We want people's experience of using the toolkit to be as trouble free as possible, but bugs and issues will occasionally occur. Please click on 'Report a Problem' for more information.
I don't have access to the IDT project in iSite2:Please visit the IDT project page on iSite and complete the signup form - just give us a reason for using IDT and click Submit. Once this is done, the IDT team can complete the process and send you a confimation email. You can then start creating IDT content.
I receive a 500 error, when I try to use the IDT tools on iSite2:Your email is not appearing on our 'whitelist' of users. Send your full name and email to DigitalNewsIDTAdmin@bbc.co.uk and request to be added to the whitelist.
The IDT previews in iSite2 are not working for me:If you can create IDT content, but can't preview it, then please tell us that previews are not working, with a link, by sending an email to DigitalNewsIDTAdmin@bbc.co.uk.
Adding the IDT content to your CPS story:Copy the 'include path' from iSite2. Then in CPS, click the 'add include' button at the top. In the box that appears, add a title, then paste the include path into the lower text field in the include box.
Can I have multiple IDT includes on a single page?Yes you can. Just add each IDT include path as separate includes in CPS.
Where do I report problems?Email us, with your full name, email, a description of the problem, and a screenshot (if possible), at DigitalNewsIDTAdmin@bbc.co.uk. Note: Check that the problem you are experiencing only affects IDT content itself, iSite or CPS content with IDT includes added.
Is IDT content available in all BBC supported languages?Yes - there are options to choose the 'service' or language that you need - for DataPics and quizzes, this option is found in the iSite form, under 'Service Language'. For charts, you can select the desired language in the top-left of the chart creator interface.
Here are the known issues with IDT, which are logged and will be resolved in future.
- When adding chart data, the data fields must contain numbers only; no commas, etc.
- Vertical Bar charts with long label names will not display well on small (mobile) screens.
- Bar charts generally should not have more than 10 data points, or things get squashed!
- Charts may not align to center on full width pages - use a screenshot image instead.
- If your chart does not appear in the Chart Editor, please re-check your data (also, see next point).
- When you export a csv directly from Microsoft Excel, they will occasionally become corrupted when they are uploaded to datasets. This is due to Microsoft’s particular way of rendering csvs. We have the issue logged, but in the meantime, we recommend exporting CSVs from Google Spreadsheets rather than Excel as this fixes the problem.
- On small screens (mobiles) the image on the right will likely be cut off or hidden.
- When making your DataPics, aligning your chosen image correctly is trial and error.
- You may need to resize or crop your image, so it appears in the DataPic as you'd like.
- Portrait images are currently not suitable, and will leave blank spaces in the DataPic.
- Quizzes will not display at all if you leave any questions, answers or feedback empty!
- The custom share message currently does not work well for right-to-left languages.
Report a problem
If you can't see or access iSite at all, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
If you are sure the problem is with IDT content, and have read the Known Issues and FAQs, then please send an email to DigitalNewsIDTAdmin@bbc.co.uk and tell us about the problem:
- Describe what you were trying to do, and how you tried to do it.
- Don't forget to tell us about the language or service you're publishing to.
- Describe the issue as best as you can - copy & paste it or take a screenshot, if possible.