Before making a Datapic, make sure you have been added to the IDT user list - to get on the list, send a request, with your name and email, to DigitalNewsIDTAdmin@bbc.co.uk
Step By Step Guide
- Step 1: Log into iSite, and click on 'Create New->Data Pics' (top-right):
- Step 2: Add a name for your Datapic and click 'Launch' in the 'Builder' box:
Step 3: Drag an image into the 'Load Image' box, or click 'Browse' choose a file:
Note: Any image you upload must be at least 978x550 in size, and less than 1.1mb.
- Step 4: In the menu (last item), choose the type of Datapic you want - StatPic or QuotePic.
Step 5: Click on the 'Add Content' button (shown above), a window will appear.
Enter the Title and Sub-header of your datapic.
Step 6: Add your 'Super Impact' (headline) figures and stats.
Note: You can add up to two super impact figures - click the + icon to add another.
- Step 7: Now add your impact figures - up to four of them - click the + icon to add more, or click on the ^ to move an item up the list.
- Step 8: Now add the sources used for your image and also for your data/stats.
- Step 9: Your Datapic should now look something like this:
- Step 10: Click the Save icon at the top-left of the menu. Note that 'File->Save' is available from the the menu as well. After saving, close the window to return to iSite.
Step 11: Now, in iSite, click 'Save' and 'Preview'. If you are happy, click 'Publish':
Then view the Datapic on PC and also mobile, to make sure it looks OK.
- Step 12: If you need to edit your Datapic and make more changes, double-click the 'edit' link in the builder:
Step 13: To save a screenshot image of your DataPic, click 'browse' in the Image Generator box.
Then in the pop-up window, choose your preferred size, click 'Preview' and then click the 'DOWNLOAD IMAGE' button:
Note: If the Image Generator box says 'edit' instead of 'browse', you will need to double click it to open the Image Generator pop-up.
- Step 14: When you have finished your DataPic, copy the include path that you require - either News (including World Service), Sport or Newsbeat:
Step 15: Now open your article in CPS. To add IDT content, you'll need to add an 'include' to your article.
To do this, click 'New Story Component->Include File' (top of the page):
Now paste the include path from Step 14 into the 'Web' section of your include and choose a title. Note that CPS previews don't display IDT content correctly, but when you publish your article, the datapic will appear in your work:
Datapics are a versatile and nicely formatted way of presenting quotes, statistics and data in an appealing and readable way. Datapics and Quotepics can be used to add emphasis or to draw attention to important data or statistics related to your story, by combining images of key subject matter with the relevant quotes, headlines, stats and information.
Does your story include interesting figures, quotes, data or statistics? Then create a Datapic or a Quotepic to bring them to life and add some style to your stats!
Some example datapics are listed below.
Important statistics can be shown under a main headline, as below:
StatPic Example with 2 headline figures
You can create up to two super impact figures (in green), as below:
To give a quote more importance or visibility, you can create a quotepic: